Tuesday 20 November 2018

How To Do Pixel Art With Godot

Some of my videos end up getting a bit technical but let me tell you this isn't one of them. Making pixel art look nice and neat and tidy in Godot is like one of the easiest things ever and I'm gonna have a hell of a job stretching this into three minutes, but somebody commented that they wanted to see a video on this so I guess I'm at the mercy of the people.

So to start with, I'd recommend determining the resolution that you want your game to run at. For most desktop games I'd recommend that this is some nice even fraction of 1920x1080, so that could be 920x540, or in WARP-TEK's case 480x270. All I've done to arrive at these numbers is divide 1920x1080 by 2 and 4 respectively, so that each pixel will take up more space on the screen.

So now that you've made the hardest decision that you're gonna make in this long and tiring process, all you have to do is go to Project Settings, Quality, enable "Use Pixel Snap" to make sure you don't get any weird artifacts when you've moving the sprites, then go back to "Display"->"Window", set "Resizeable" to true, set the Test Width and Test Height to 1920x1080(just to make the game the appropriate resolution when it's scaled up) and for good measure I usually enable "Fullscreen" here too.

Lastly, go down to "Stretch" in the same section and set mode to viewport, and set aspect to keep.

And that's it, you've now exactly recreated the same style of pixel art rendering that I use in WARP-TEK. The advantage of doing it this way is that all things like particle effects, Control nodes, etc will all be pixel-lookin and you don't have to do anything about it.

See? Super easy. I told you I wouldn't fill up three minutes with this. Hmm. So what's up with you guys?

..

Hm, interesting stuff. Yeah. I hope that all works out for you, you know, the stuff you just said. Yeah.

...

Well thanks for watching and stay tuned for really short videos that you too can recommend that I make so that it's your fault that the videos are too short and not mine. Goodbye!

1 comment :