Saturday 14 January 2017

Thoughts on Track 2

As time goes on and I'm having more ideas and thoughts spring to mind regarding my approach to Track 2, it's getting better and better. If you're reading this and you're a consumer of strange surrealist art pieces video games, this is good news!

To those of you who have listened to the Spiderman in the Rhineland podcast that myself and a friend host, you may realize that while Track 1 is a decidedly chaotic multi-themed piece, Track 2 is a considerably more ordered and linear experience.

At this point, I can't stop with the constant visual and design metaphors. There are more metaphors intended in the levels and my plans for design so far than would ever be extracted by the most untenable claims, but ultimately I'm not making this game for the average consumer's benefit. If you're reading this and you're a consumer of video games strange surrealist art pieces, this is good news!

I will give an example of these visual metaphors in action. The background I created involving a bridge over a chasm -- each plank on the rope bridge is tattered, though towards the end of the bridge, each plank is less tattered. This is, in my mind, a metaphor for the fact that literally billions of listeners have attempted and failed to understand, appreciate or even listen to the podcast. Not that I'm implying that every person on the planet is morally obliged to listen and successfully interpret the podcast, but..

To return to the original point, the bridge is picture below.

Admittedly, it's not the best bridge. It looks significantly better with the proper animation I gave it, and I'm going to re-draw the planks in my second pass of each background in the future. While it's not going on any promotional material, it's fine as a placeholder.

In any case, if you have done, thanks for reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment