Monday 22 May 2017

A rundown of my newest project

This is as good a place as any to explain my failed attempt at dealing with exams.

You see, I was planning on burning out after Ludum Dare. I would start a daily tutorial series almost immediately afterwards, overwork myself and burn out so revising for exams would be a pleasant way to "procrastinate".


Unfortunately for me, I didn't burn out and still haven't burned out. I even finished the daily tutorials recently but that hasn't helped. As time goes on, I've become more and more attracted to the idea of starting a new project.

"But Alex, you can't do that! You have exams!"

Well, fine. I'll just plan out my next project, and nothing more.

Sounds great. However, now that I've planned out my project I can't stop myself from thinking about it. I can't concentrate on studying during this time, so fuck it- I might as well put this time to good use. So here we are, stuck with an outstanding project and 8 exams over the next month. That's not even including the posts and videos I've still yet to complete.

Let's cut the preamble and get to the reason that this post even exists.

My new project stems from the premise of being able to choose how the enemies get stronger. The basic idea is that the player fights enemies in waves. At the end of each wave, the player will be forced to choose an upgrade which benefits the enemies. For instance, giving them more health, damage, or anything in that vein. After perhaps 30 waves, there would be a boss fight.

I'm also considering whether or not to allow the player to upgrade themselves. Maybe the player gains points based on their highest wave each time they lose. Between each attempt, they can upgrade themselves based exponentially. This makes balancing the game a lot easier, since if the player is too weak they can just upgrade and play again.

Either way, that's the gist of it. I'm planning on using the characters which I've been drawing quite a lot lately, pictured below.


Yeah, I know I'm not exactly a talented graphic designer. Either way, since they're fairly simple anatomically, it's basically a blob with legs. They should be quite easy to implement and animate in a game.

Also, it's a 2D arena-based side-scroller. Just thought I'd mention at some point, since it's pretty important.

If you have any ideas on what to name this thing, feel free to let me know. So far the Godot project folder is named "This thing", so it can only get better from here.

Regardless, thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more updates on this new project!

No comments :

Post a Comment